Foto

Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1

• Please log in to reply
Er zijn 35 reacties in dit onderwerp

#1 kira

• 18 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 11 januari 2012 - 14:09

I have a brand new ET5000 box and a fresh Open PLi image installed OpenPLi-2.1-beta-et5x00-20120109.
I place a few media files on my USB stick (jpg, avi,mkv, mov, mp3, wav, ) and want to play them all nicely on the box, preferable from one single GUI.

My main question is what's the best way and tool to play media files withing this setup?

To make default media player working for me I need to fix some issues I found.

1) Once I insert USB stick into the box a popup message comes with "No displayable files on this medium found".
I assmue I shuold see the list of my files or at least their number, right.
Media Scanner plugin is installed by default.
Please advice how I can fix it.

2) Is there an aeasy way to play the entire folder of mp3 or / and video files (one after another) and not push OK button to play every file?

3) Is the a way to request song/movie info from Internet automatically while it's playing?

4) Is there a way to display albums covers

5) Is WAV file playback possible?

6) how to start DVD (VIDEO_TS) playback?

7) Is there a way to make media player to display photos (jpg)? If not, why it's called Media Player? :)

Please also advice if exists better alternative, other tool/plugin I can use to play all media files from one single GUI

Thanks in advance

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #2 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56123 berichten

+685
Excellent

Geplaatst op 11 januari 2012 - 14:13

Just use the standard movieplayer... there were you play recordings...

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #3 kira

• 18 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 11 januari 2012 - 14:30

Sorry, can you clarify please: what is movieplayer, is it not the media player I access from the main Menu?
What do you mean by recordings?
I want to play just media files as I explained above.
Are there simple answers/solutions to my questions above or these are all current media player issues / bugs?
Thanks

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #4 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56123 berichten

+685
Excellent

Geplaatst op 11 januari 2012 - 14:31

That is were you play the recordings from...

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #5 Rob van der Does

• 7766 berichten

+184
Excellent

Geplaatst op 11 januari 2012 - 14:40

On the R/C of an ET use the button named "FileList": that opens the list, you can navigate to every location, there is a setup-menu, playing is done by a simple "OK", and preview by pressing "Play/Pause".

Veranderd door SatKiekerd, 11 januari 2012 - 14:41

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #6 kira

• 18 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 12 januari 2012 - 16:00

I agree Pli player is less buggy and more useful, but I must admit it took me some time to realize there are different players in the image.
I think you guys (PLi team) yourself confuse people a bit since you probably do not have a proper "brand" name for your own player.
You call it PVR, play recordings; Media payer, movie player, etc. What's the proper name?

1) I suggest to start your improvements from the player name. It's definitely not a movie player since it can play audio.
How about PLi Player or PLi Media Player? and place it please at least in the main menu moving standard Enigma Media Player plugin into the plugins.

2) Do you have a proper manual, WiKi that describes your player, main functions, hot keys, etc.
Please advise or give a link to something.
If not, that would be the biggest improvement of the product.

Then, I still have some issues / questions on your player.

3) How to start/play DVD structure on my USB stick (VIDEO_TS folder with several . vob files); is there a DVD navigation supported?

4) How to play an entire directory of mp3 files (one after another)

5) Following files are not displayable: wma; 3gp. Is there a way to see and play these?

6) Is the slideshow for photos available? How to run it?

7) Cyrillic file names do not show properly

8) When I have menu on top of the running video; how can I hide menu? When I push exit, the player stops the video

9) How to see mp3 tags? I tried Blue button assigning to it mp3 tags but I do not see them. Are they right at the top line?
If yes I cannot see them because of my small TV screen probably.

Thanks for your help. I might continue with suggestions on improvements...

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #7 Rob van der Does

• 7766 berichten

+184
Excellent

Geplaatst op 12 januari 2012 - 16:26

ad 3: yes, but DVD-player needs to be installed for that. Once done that, all DVD-menu's are supported. Playback will start with "OK" on the video-ts folder.

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #8 kira

• 18 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 12 januari 2012 - 16:26

One more problem on PLi image.
Once I insert USB stick with Fat32 formated into ET5000 with several types of media files that can be played
a popup message comes with "No displayable files on this medium found".
I assmue I should see the list of my files or at least their number, right.
Media Scanner plugin is installed by default.
Please advice how I can fix it.

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #9 kira

• 18 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 12 januari 2012 - 20:16

ad 3: yes, but DVD-player needs to be installed for that. Once done that, all DVD-menu's are supported. Playback will start with "OK" on the video-ts folder.

dvdplayer (2.7+glt9315) plugin installed from the feed but it does not help a lot.
Being on a folder with vob files (DVD backup) I press OK and enter this folder instead of playing it.
I can play this DVD on my PC though
Please help.

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #10 Rob van der Does

• 7766 berichten

+184
Excellent

Geplaatst op 13 januari 2012 - 07:58

dvdplayer (2.7+glt9315) plugin installed from the feed but it does not help a lot.
Being on a folder with vob files (DVD backup) I press OK and enter this folder instead of playing it.
I can play this DVD on my PC though
Please help.

If the name of that folder is "VIDEO_TS" as it would be on a DVD itself, it will be played as a DVD (assuming the contents has the structure of a DVD).

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #11 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14042 berichten

+298
Excellent

Geplaatst op 13 januari 2012 - 09:02

3) How to start/play DVD structure on my USB stick (VIDEO_TS folder with several . vob files); is there a DVD navigation supported?
4) How to play an entire directory of mp3 files (one after another)
5) Following files are not displayable: wma; 3gp. Is there a way to see and play these?
6) Is the slideshow for photos available? How to run it?
7) Cyrillic file names do not show properly
8) When I have menu on top of the running video; how can I hide menu? When I push exit, the player stops the video
9) How to see mp3 tags? I tried Blue button assigning to it mp3 tags but I do not see them. Are they right at the top line?
If yes I cannot see them because of my small TV screen probably.

3) Yes, just hit OK on the VIDEO_TS folder and it will start DVD playback. No plugin required anymore.
4) Just press OK or PLAY on an MP3, and it will jump to the next when done by default (unless you changed the "play audio in background" setting to false) and thus play the whole folder.
5) If the box can play them, they can be added to the "audio" list. Can the box play them?
6) Just hit OK on a JPG file and it will show in the picture viewer. Then press "green" for a slideshow.
7) Example? (screenshots or so...)
8) Don't understand what you mean.
9) MP3 tags aren't supported (yet) in the movie list. The word "tags" refers to some old obsolete way of organizing recordings.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #12 Robinson

• 2613 berichten

+30
Good

Geplaatst op 13 januari 2012 - 09:08

(unless you changed the "play audio in background" setting to false) a

Where is this "play audio in background" setting?
I can't find it.

ET9000, OpenPLi 4.0, 13E, 19E

HD51, OpenPLi 6.2, 75E - 30W

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #13 Rob van der Does

• 7766 berichten

+184
Excellent

Geplaatst op 13 januari 2012 - 09:18

(unless you changed the "play audio in background" setting to false) a

Where is this "play audio in background" setting?
I can't find it.

Movielist --> Menu --> Settings

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #14 kira

• 18 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 13 januari 2012 - 11:39

3) Yes, just hit OK on the VIDEO_TS folder and it will start DVD playback. No plugin required anymore.

Please clarify on that :

- I do not need to install DVD-player plugin to play DVD structure, right? From which PLi version it works? I have OpenPLi-2.1-beta-et5x00-20120109 and it does not work either with DVD-player plugin installed or without.
- should my DVD folder be called VIDEO_TS to be playable as DVD or I can use any other name for the DVD folder?

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #15 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14042 berichten

+298
Excellent

Geplaatst op 13 januari 2012 - 11:46

Since you're the only one to report that the playback doesn't work, I'll just assume there's something wrong with your DVD structure on disk. Either that, or your software is somehow corrupted.

It should work without the VIDEO_TS folder, it also looks for the IFO files.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #16 kira

• 18 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 13 januari 2012 - 14:54

I'll retest DVD playback with more DVD backups and new PLi image.
What about another issue I reported above:

Once I insert USB stick with Fat32 formated into ET5000 with several types of media files that can be played
a popup message comes with "No displayable files on this medium found".

I have on USB a root folder Media, then a few folders for audio, movie, etc. Nothing is recognised automatically.
However I can play almost everything in PLi player on the box

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #17 Gennar1

• 296 berichten

+31
Good

Geplaatst op 13 januari 2012 - 15:36

5) If the box can play them, they can be added to the "audio" list. Can the box play them?

wma is the Microsoft audio format; since wmv9 (the popular Microsoft video format) is not currently supported in the ET drivers, I guess that wma is not supported either; however, this formats are supported by the hardware, and they should be enabled in a future driver update.

3gp instead is just a container, and it's a "derivative" of the MP4 container format. In fact, the GStreamer MP4 demuxer (qtdemux) is perfectly able to demux this kind of files. Whether this files are playable or not is a matter of the audio/video codecs used to encode the media.

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #18 blzr

• PLi® Core member
  • 2269 berichten

+118
Excellent

Geplaatst op 13 januari 2012 - 19:27

8) Don't understand what you mean.

I guess I might know what it is about /?/
[play] button behavior in recording list may be a little confusing...
actually, when you press [play] button on a given title it starts its preview in PiG,
(although starting of the movie playback with ">" key would be more expected/logical/intuitive, wouldn't it?:))
@kira
just start movie playback with OK button :)
True sarcasm doesn't need green font...

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #19 kira

• 18 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 14 januari 2012 - 21:08

a Few resutls of my tests:

- slide show works

- mp3 entire folder playback works

- Media Scanner that could not find files on my USB stick when I insert it
works ONLY if files placed in the root directory of the USB. Everything in folders could not be found by Media Scanner!!!
But this plugin starts default E2 Media player (from Menu) but not PLi movie player.
So I see here inconsistency in Pli image. You guys say - use our own PLi player for media files playback, but some image components
like media scanner plugin does not work with your player.

So my questions:

- can somebody fix media scanner to scan media files in the folders (at least 3 levels)
- what's the stratagy for single media player on PLi image? What will be improved in the future releases: PLi player or E2 Media Player?

If PLi player, please add mp3 tags and playlist support and connect it to media scanner plugin.
Only then I think you can remove default Media Player.
Otherwise please fix bugs in the deafult media player.

Re: Best way to play media files on OpenPLi 2.1 #20 kira

• 18 berichten

Neutral

Geplaatst op 16 januari 2012 - 10:39

DVD playback works after a clean flash of OpenPLi-2.1-beta-et5x00-20120114 (with any folder name and without DVDplugin).
Thanks to PLi team and all.

I could not get an AC3 signal on my AV reciever connecting ET5000 via Optical digital cable. It was just stereo I think.
Should adjust any parameters?

1 gebruiker(s) lezen dit onderwerp

0 leden, 1 bezoekers, 0 anonieme gebruikers