72 replies to this topic

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #21 Carl

• 367 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 5 May 2012 - 19:46

85% - ca... ;)

Muahaha lol sure... :P
I think its different OpenPLi copied 99% of the DMM code. ;)

Let say it different.
They add the latest 2 year some features which were allready available in Openpli ;)

Probably coming feature is dvbapi5 :ph34r: :ph34r:
XP1000, Clarketech CT9000 and a VU+ duo

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #22 dhwz

• 227 posts

+20
Neutral

Posted 5 May 2012 - 19:51

They add the latest 2 year some features which were allready available in Openpli ;)

But adding something is completly different than copying.
For example HDMI-CEC, how should they copy something which isn even opensource its inside of the drivers?
Or HbbTV is also closed source how should they copy something like that? Huh?

And both isn't also availabe via OpenPLi for DMM Boxes.
So you also just copied something from different boxes and only adding it to your own Image. ;)

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #23 offnow

• 56 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 5 May 2012 - 19:52

Hehe, but we have to say, that is the main sense of "open"
each other has to learn from the others, so software will have improvement

If all will do with this - small hints also I think the soft will be better and better...

Edited by stibbich, 5 May 2012 - 19:53.

hab keine Lust mehr...

Viel Spaß allen und lebt wohl

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #24 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 5 May 2012 - 20:09

Trouble is since dmm changed to closed source openpli is to my knowledge the only image the sources are public available.
Most of other teams, even openpli based, keep them closed and don't return anything while at the some moment cherry picking the good stuff from openpli.
And in the meantime trying to copycat new functionality from other teams.
Dream sadly had to close their sources: VU+, ET where successfull coz users where using enigma on those boxes too.

Soon I'll have to choose:

1) buy a new box, with driver support so I can use openpli with advanced features
2) stick with less rich features openpli
3) put dmm original image on my dm800hd pvr and find a new nice plugin team / community again.

But since the dm800hd pvr is the only image not build with new kernel 3.2 perhaps that isn't anytime soon to / will never happen :)
In the end its mainly a box to watch television and I can do that right now too with openpli!

@Camping: ZGemma H.2S, Technisat Multytenne 4-in-1 @Home: Edision Mini 4K, Wave Frontier T55, EMP Centauri EMP DiSEqC 8/1 switch, 4x Inverto Ultra Black single LNB

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #25 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 5 May 2012 - 20:17

Is is very simple: OpenPLI is licenced under GPL.

Which means you can use the source as you please, as long as you publish it again. If you make modifications, you are required to publish the modifications.

You are not allowed to use code of which OpenPLi has the copyright as original author in your own product, and you are not allowed to re-use the code in software that is not GPL.

The license explicitly forbids this, so both teams that use OpenPLi as a basis, modify it and don't publish those changes, and companies that take solutions from the OpenPLi code to incorporate those in closed source are in violation of the license agreement. And in the second case they are also in violation of copyright laws, which means they are "thiefs" of the code we have the copyright of.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #26 Carl

• 367 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 6 May 2012 - 01:54

Is is very simple: OpenPLI is licenced under GPL.

Which means you can use the source as you please, as long as you publish it again. If you make modifications, you are required to publish the modifications.

You are not allowed to use code of which OpenPLi has the copyright as original author in your own product, and you are not allowed to re-use the code in software that is not GPL.

The license explicitly forbids this, so both teams that use OpenPLi as a basis, modify it and don't publish those changes, and companies that take solutions from the OpenPLi code to incorporate those in closed source are in violation of the license agreement. And in the second case they are also in violation of copyright laws, which means they are "thiefs" of the code we have the copyright of.

The problem is to prove it....
Everyone knows that dmm use code which is based GPL. It's easy to prove but nobody cares....
XP1000, Clarketech CT9000 and a VU+ duo

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #27 jeffphil

• 116 posts

+7
Neutral

Posted 6 May 2012 - 08:14

Yes I finally think DMM has found a way to drive away long term customers.
Until The Wheels are off the ground there is still hope

DM500,DM600,DM800HD,VU+ Duo

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #28 Persian Prince

• 1,982 posts

+247
Excellent

Posted 6 May 2012 - 10:35

OE 2.0 : http://git.opendream...99133cc9fae033f

@Coolman : if you use "all" even a sh4 box with e2 image could accept it for installation

@DMM pets : please don't bump this thread

Open Vision sources: https://github.com/OpenVisionE2

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #29 dhwz

• 227 posts

+20
Neutral

Posted 6 May 2012 - 10:55

Everyone knows that dmm use code which is based GPL. It's easy to prove but nobody cares....

If its so easy then DO IT.

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #30 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,469 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 6 May 2012 - 12:15

we prefere to use our private time for our own hobby for ourselves and our users

but why don't you prove it they don't if you are so sure about it ;)

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #31 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,602 posts

+210
Excellent

Posted 6 May 2012 - 13:55

I dont know - may be, on the market will be more cheap dmm's original boxes now. When users will know, that using dmm with closed sources is impasse ... what they can do, when they want hdmi-cec, better support of USB-DVBT etc ... ?
To use original firmware ? No. Better will be sell it and to buy box with full support of PLi... it is not a few users ... next lower sales for DMM, imho.
Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #32 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,042 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 6 May 2012 - 13:59

That's two less DMM buyers then - the one who buys the alternative box, and the one who buys the second-hand DMM...
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #33 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 6 May 2012 - 15:18

What all this fuss is about? DMM just switched to newer kernel and adopted interesting features that were already available in their competitors' products. They didn't copy OpenPLI and OpenPLI didn't steal anything from DMM.

I guess 3.2 kernel will be available for DMM boxes on OpenPLI, when the support is mature enough.

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #34 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 6 May 2012 - 15:24

Interesting... [subscribes to thread and news... ;) ]
<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #35 offnow

• 56 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 6 May 2012 - 16:04

Maybe - somewhere sometimes in the future, the boss of dream will get it...
It is not necessary to earn 50 Euro or more for every sold nondreambox with e2 - maybe 5 Euro are enough...

Maybe - somewhere sometimes in the future they will accept not perfect patches with correct timestamp and md5sum, maybe they will accept some code which is provided in a small textfile or out of a thread written in a board - because the code is more perfect than the way of providing it...

Maybe - somewhere sometimes in the future they will take the idea of someone and write it in perfect code - because the one who has got the idea can not do this, because he is a progger for cnc-machines and not a c++ - god...

IMHO - this will not happen - so we have to take the kindergarden provided, steal some code from the right and from the left, put it together to make the best images for the users and their different boxes - and get nothing for it, only "you are a thief" and a "really bad guy"...

My head says - go, buy a hd+ receiver and throw the other things to trash and burn it - go, play angry birds or UT3 - why do you do these other things? - man, you are ill in your head... - there must be a big hole, where others do have some brain... maybe to much alcohol or cigarettes? - maybe the water was too hot while having a bath as a baby?
But until now my heart has won every fight about this ;)

hab keine Lust mehr...

Viel Spaß allen und lebt wohl

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #36 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,303 posts

+1,718
Excellent

Posted 6 May 2012 - 16:24

What all this fuss is about? DMM just switched to newer kernel and adopted interesting features that were already available in their competitors' products. They didn't copy OpenPLI and OpenPLI didn't steal anything from DMM.

How do you know their closed-source C++ code does not contain something 'borrowed' from our open source C++ code?

I'm not ready to accuse anyone of stealing, but it is remarkable to say the least that features or fixes we've built in suddenly appear in their closed source version. Features or fixes for issues that sometimes have been known for years, but never fixed by DMM. History (in the time their C++ was still open) has proven they don't have an issue with using our copyrighted and GPL protected code to fix theirs.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #37 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 6 May 2012 - 17:15

I sincerely hope it comes up in their forthcoming court cases... strongly, clearly and vividly...

Just as they were trying to portray others in bad light when similar stuff happened but when the roles were reversed...
<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #38 jeffphil

• 116 posts

+7
Neutral

Posted 6 May 2012 - 20:31

OK VU ET CT developers now is the time to strike roll out all the good drivers and show DMM how to sell a good product. In my opinion good hardware plus drivers plus openpli is a winner.
Until The Wheels are off the ground there is still hope

DM500,DM600,DM800HD,VU+ Duo

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #39 ozkaradag

• 53 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 6 May 2012 - 22:59

Hi folks,

Devices I am using open-source 7 years.
Initially, I used the DMM Boxes, boxes and then I met Vuplus.

And the way I understood that a vast difference in hardware, as well as much more appropriate amounts.
Now you can leave aside fanaticism, which one would you do?
I'm not buying now, and do not use DMM Boxes.

Now, with the closed-source cross OE2.0, try to intimidate their opponents.
Copy the existing features of both PLi's, dressing, showing that the new works.

Woe to say.
I have a few questions PLi Community.

I as a user of a Vuplus OE2.0 from Do do I fear?
Future patterns of support for Blu-Diskes?
Vuplus boxes next MMS Network Protocol? What if the time comes?
Which each have a working CI +? Because most of the money goes publishing platform with a CI + system. This is a candidate to be our biggest problem.

Thanks in advance ...
Yours ...

Re: OE 2.0 - DreamBox #40 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,042 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 7 May 2012 - 09:29

CI+ will never be officially supported by any open source receiver. CI+ requires the software to be closed.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users