• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #21 DrData

• 99 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 11 August 2012 - 16:49

I never said the word manufacturer.
I told it Xtrend-Support-Forum. And that is exactly what the banner of the forum shows.
But we all know.....hobbyists and independent hobbyists....is not the same :)

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #22 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,272 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 11 August 2012 - 20:11

I think the battery in Et boxes are a time bomb.

When the time is ready for it the drivers do not have to check the security anymore...!!! So where is your suggested time bomb?

Over a while clone manufactures are not interested in ET anymore....? I think your suggested will only scare people for nothing.... Better a good security then a big risk that there will be fake boxes around....

Edited by littlesat, 11 August 2012 - 20:12.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #23 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 11 August 2012 - 21:16

.......... Better a good security then a big risk that there will be fake boxes around....

Again: the crux is in the word 'good'.

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #24 DrData

• 99 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 11 August 2012 - 21:57

When the time is ready for it the drivers do not have to check the security anymore...!!! So where is your suggested time bomb?

But...when the time is ready?
the crux of the matter is, no one gives you any guarantee that there will be future drivers wich remove security check.
You have only guarantee for two years! (in europe).
But every kindergarden child gives you a guarantee that every battery will be empty, some day. :)
And I guess the custumer have to pay in case of a faulty battery. In my eyes this is not a good solution.

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #25 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,272 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 11 August 2012 - 23:13

The battery will not be empty within two years, It will last at least for 10 years in case the device is never powered ON... That are the specifications of it...! So there is no big deal at all.... Only peoply who are just scared of it.... but the method was already proven in other equipment....

Edited by littlesat, 11 August 2012 - 23:13.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #26 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:01

We are repeating this from another topic.......
Quite a number of Xtrend clients have experienced problems in this area (faulty security board, battery getting loose). Of course: those problems have been "RMA'd", but they can re-occur.
And who says that Xtrend is still alive when the time comes to relieve their drivers from the security burden?
And don't forget: there's no way to guarantee a batteries livespan!

Again: I don't think that anyone will deny manufacturers rights to protect their property. But it should not be done at the expense of legitimate clients.

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #27 Carl

• 367 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:22

We are repeating this from another topic.......
Quite a number of Xtrend clients have experienced problems in this area (faulty security board, battery getting loose). Of course: those problems have been "RMA'd", but they can re-occur.
And who says that Xtrend is still alive when the time comes to relieve their drivers from the security burden?
And don't forget: there's no way to guarantee a batteries livespan!

Again: I don't think that anyone will deny manufacturers rights to protect their property. But it should not be done at the expense of legitimate clients.

VU+ stopped the standard development on VU+ duo and solo and probably soon on uno and ultimo as well as the rumors are that there are coming clone version soon on the market as well. Hbbtv was aspected in June on Uno and Ultimo however due the rumors they are allready telling a bit that it will come only on the new V2 versions.
Very disappointed as the boxes still have many strange bugs and the promosed hbbtv will probably not come anymore.
Better use good security as the chips what is used have live time of about 5 years and not 2 years what like VU are targeting for.

The BCM7413 is around 2 years out of the market. I don't worry about it as Xtrend is the only company at the moment with new and good development.
XP1000, Clarketech CT9000 and a VU+ duo

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #28 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:42

I bought my DM7000 in Oktober 2002. So it is now 10 years old and
it works like the first day in a 2nd room.

When I got my dm8000 it didn't work because the security chip card holder was total crap. I removed and replaced it with a paperclip, and that has functioned quite well those years. In the past there have been many issues with the DMM security modules, including nice demonstrations of the built-in "time-bomb" function.

Of all the "security" measures, I think the one in the VU+ boxes must be the scariest, because I don't know where or what it is.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #29 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,272 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:21

Because everyone is spreading hoaxes here while nobody does contact ET, I did contact them and received the following response...

Xtrend currently checks the battery at the startup of the hardware. This is a normal process that is peformed in all device with a battery. Due to the fact the battery should last minimal 10 years ET did also check that battery.

With the suppliers it was agreed that after a specific period the battery check will be removed from the drivers. Such drivers are already available for the suppliers. Currently it is choosen to still deliver drivers with the battery check included.

The battery is used to check the ET boxes for correct use. It was not intended for clone protection. For clone protextion there exists another security mechanism.

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #30 DrData

• 99 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:05

Im sorry. But I think this is a funny statement.
I have 220 Volt at Home for correct startup and use of my devices :)

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #31 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:29

With "correct use" the manufacturer perhaps means the region protection?

@Camping: ZGemma H.2S, Technisat Multytenne 4-in-1 @Home: Edision Mini 4K, Wave Frontier T55, EMP Centauri EMP DiSEqC 8/1 switch, 4x Inverto Ultra Black single LNB

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #32 Carl

• 367 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:59

Of all the "security" measures, I think the one in the VU+ boxes must be the scariest, because I don't know where or what it is.

VU+ has something in the frontpanel and mainboard security. When your display is broken the box won't startup anymore. Even when you start the box without frontpanel attached the box doesn't boot.
A short while ago a capacitor dry out on the mainboard which was part of security and happened only with specified drivers. I must say as well this is scary.

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #33 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2012 - 13:45

Well, have a look at the Ferrari site: they can explain a lot in this area..........

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #34 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2012 - 13:47

Because everyone is spreading hoaxes here while nobody does contact ET, I did contact them and received the following response...

And you feel happy now with that silly response..... :rolleyes:

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #35 Carl

• 367 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 12 August 2012 - 15:47

What is silly about it?
Spreading wrong information is silly. So who is now silly

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #36 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2012 - 16:56

What is silly about it?

Because, as you know very well, that reply is a lie. And I'm very much surprised to see that Littlesat is accepting that reply: I really thought he also would know better than that.
The securityboard of the ET is married with the battery and is an anti-clone measure.

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #37 Carl

• 367 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 12 August 2012 - 18:03

What is silly about it?

Because, as you know very well, that reply is a lie. And I'm very much surprised to see that Littlesat is accepting that reply: I really thought he also would know better than that.
The securityboard of the ET is married with the battery and is an anti-clone measure.

I believe earlier the replay of littlesat which info comes from Xtrend, then people which assuming they knows how it works because someone on a different forum told so. Looks like you have a shelf for your head.

The securityboard can been married with ET I see no problem in this and it happens even a lot in satellite world. Smartcards, CI modules, software and so on are married with the equipment. That's not so strange as you may think.

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #38 kalehrl

• 468 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 12 August 2012 - 19:19

The problem is with faulty security boards which are installed in devices and which are obviously not tested properly in factories.
ET6000 is particularly afflicted by this.
You can go to official et-view support board and find several long threads with recurring problems with et6000.
I have nothing against security boards provided they are tested properly before installation in devices which is obviously not the case.

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #39 Carl

• 367 posts

+8
Neutral

Posted 12 August 2012 - 19:34

The problem is with faulty security boards which are installed in devices and which are obviously not tested properly in factories.
ET6000 is particularly afflicted by this.
You can go to official et-view support board and find several long threads with recurring problems with et6000.
I have nothing against security boards provided they are tested properly before installation in devices which is obviously not the case.

Really? Do you not mean micom (What is total different chip) problem I read about.

Re: Risc with battery in Xtrend 9500? #40 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 12 August 2012 - 19:46

Looks like you have a shelf for your head.

Please watch your language. No need to be rude at all.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users