Photo

Not fun to be test rabbit

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 indrek70

• 31 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 December 2012 - 21:56

Hello Guys, have been upgrading today (by image from December 3rd) my DM7020 HD open pli which I installed some weeks ago. It was not nice surprise to get on boot green screen, which saying: Your system should be rebooted because of software problem and it running continuously now.

Why you guys can not put to the automatic firmware upgrade section only images, which has been tested!? Why all your customers should be a such kind of test rabbits, who after downloading none good image should start everything again from beginning? Please make for enthusiastic testers option to download last night upgrades after they confirm, they like to get it! For other, please give an option to be free from status of the test rabbits and allow them to download only tested and well working image upgrades.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Indrek

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #2 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 4 December 2012 - 22:00

Openpli is an image for developers and advanced users not a image for users that just want to watch television.
It contains cutting edge features but also from time to time some bugs.

@Camping: ZGemma H.2S, Technisat Multytenne 4-in-1 @Home: Edision Mini 4K, Wave Frontier T55, EMP Centauri EMP DiSEqC 8/1 switch, 4x Inverto Ultra Black single LNB

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #3 indrek70

• 31 posts

Neutral

Posted 4 December 2012 - 22:07

Dear theparasol, thank you for your comment and nice remark. I think that even advanced user, who deal with sat tv from beginning 1990 would like to watch sometimes JUST tv and relax :) This advanced user has been taking now right to say, how he would see things could be better.

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #4 alsat1

• 221 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 5 December 2012 - 00:00

Openpli is an image for developers and advanced users not a image for users that just want to watch television.

I not agree,OpenPLI is ok for "only tv watchers"too,but sometimes daily relases are buggy and always BETA,so in my opinion when Your openpli image running ok for weeks is always best way to do full backup and save image on pc.Then do a update,if something not ok,is always only few minutes to get old image back and run.Iam doing like that and is ok for me.
But never had a problem after update a image,usually if something is not ok its my fault,because playing to much sometimes with dreambox w pli on board.... ;) And then my backup fix it quick :P

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #5 wannaplay

• 164 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 5 December 2012 - 01:47

I kinda agree with this, there should be a final version or at least known long term stable versions which should be made available. in truth you don't know what your getting with these beta versions, you just cross your fingers and hope for the best...

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #6 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,273 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 5 December 2012 - 07:59

A long term stable image is not postille.... There is always something that might be unstable... And progression is not postible without sometimes braking thinks....

Edited by littlesat, 5 December 2012 - 08:00.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #7 BuGless

• 539 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 5 December 2012 - 11:05

A long term stable image is not postille.... There is always something that might be unstable... And progression is not postible without sometimes braking thinks....

Well, I've personally always favoured a scheme where (beta) users put a stability stamp on a version after the fact. I.e. every month, people would be able to vote on the most stable release of the last month. That release then becomes stable-version-xyz and anyone just following the stable feed only updates to those. In some exceptional cases it could be decided that there is no stable version in the last month so there will not be any stable release that month.

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #8 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 5 December 2012 - 11:51

Well, you're free to organize/arrange it like that if you want.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #9 robertut

• 347 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 7 December 2012 - 07:53

Problem with the flag put on the forum that an image is usable or not is - that when upgrading from the box menu this can't be seen. User doesn't have to go to PC first...

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #10 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,273 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 7 December 2012 - 08:01

That is not true... before upgrading the box via the remote the "skuls" are also checked and a warning will be given... So you do not need your PC...

The only fact is that big bugs have to be discovered first.... so when you upgrade in the morning and nobody discovered an issue yet then even the website does not help.

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #11 robertut

• 347 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 7 December 2012 - 14:54

Well I upgraded from the box on the 16th in the evening, and it turned out, that the last usable image is from the 15th of November. And the skulls were not there neither on the 16th, neither any day since. But everybody knows now, that glib or whatever is broken and MP4 / MKV playback is problematic atm...

But no skulss are there.

This is discouraging, I think I will never update from the box again. I ran into situations like this the third time now.

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #12 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,471 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 7 December 2012 - 20:55

finally, it's your own choice if you update or not...

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #13 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,273 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 7 December 2012 - 21:05

I have also issues with MKV but not really big issues... after clearing the gstreamer cache I see no issues here. The skul is only there in place when you really cannot watch TV....

As you take a good look at our commits you can imagine wat we try to develop here...

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #14 robertut

• 347 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 10 December 2012 - 14:33

Sorry if I was misunderstable. I never said that the team is not working/developing etc., as I myself participate with the Hungarian translation. I've been using PLi since the DM500/600 days, and contributing since, so I guess I see pretty clearly what's going on here.

But what I do see among many things, is that lots of stuff is being reorganised, some things get better, some get worse during time...

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #15 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,471 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 10 December 2012 - 18:46

if our users report those thing what goes worser we can work about it to get it back working again

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #16 robertut

• 347 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:03

OK, now as a user i report:

- not only watching TV through a tuner is important. 95% of the users bought HD boxes to also watch media content from files. So when that functionality gets affected somehow in a negative way, please consider to put the skulls out.

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #17 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,471 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:02

a STB is not designed to be a media player, so we consider Radio and TV as his basics functions

the problems of playing media content however is known and we are investigating those problems
just bare with us...

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #18 annabelmer

• 30 posts

Neutral

Posted 13 December 2012 - 17:54

Sorry, but what you just said is utter bollocks. OpenPli is for watching television of course, not for making coffee and toast.

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #19 litemotiv

• 4,795 posts

+15
Neutral

Posted 13 December 2012 - 18:41

Sorry, but what you just said is utter bollocks. OpenPli is for watching television of course, not for making coffee and toast.

He said "users that just want to watch television", not "users that want to watch television". ;)

You can compare it to using Chromium or Firefox nightlies instead of Chrome and Firefox stable, nightlies always tend to be a bit unstable. They are a snapshot of what the developers themselves use, so these images are not built for you, the end user, although you are welcome to download and use them for free.

Yes, the OpenPLi nightly builds sometimes contain experimental code that is not thoroughly tested, at this point in time we do not have the means or manpower to maintain separate trees of images for both stable and experimental target groups. So as it stands, the "price" for getting the latest and greatest new developments is indeed that sometimes you will be somewhat of a test rabbit. Stuff will break, count on it.

If you don't want that, there are many image builders out there who provide older, more stable and tested code, which will probably suit you better. It's a lot more boring ofcourse, but you get what you pay for. You have the freedom to choose any image that suits your interests and usage scenario best.

Re: Not fun to be test rabbit #20 wannaplay

• 164 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:19

Ok, how about this... i've seen this done in other forums. Why not create a pinned topic which lets users which have been using their beta pli versions for while, let other users know if their version is stable... especially in the long term! To get some general consensus on which builds are actually working well. This would mean users would do all the work, leaving the pli team to carry on their work without being disturbed. This would be users advising other users of the best builds for their specific box...

Would this make sense, would this help the general community?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users