• This topic is locked This topic is locked
182 replies to this topic

#1 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:14

Dear Boardmembers!

On 'special request' of Erik Slagter I created a Special Edition of the Jack the Ripper Plugin.

The original JTR is able to convert Non-Dreambox Images from VU+, CT,.. to Dreambox nfi Images which are then flashable and behave almost like a normal Dreambox image.

The JTR Special Edition is now able to convert OpenPLI OE 3.0 Images to the latest kernel and drivers from DMM and their root filesystem to UBIFS.

Usage is quite simple, install the latest OE 2.0 Experimental Image from DMM to your dreambox (you can get one from www.opendreambox.org) or if you want to enjoy also the etra features of my initramfs Patch like Label mounting then get the latest OoZooN Image from www.oozoon.tv. and flash it.

Then you install in this image the attached ipk and after an enigma2 restart you have the JTR PLI Special Edition Plugin in your Plugin List.

On Blue in the JTR Plugin you may change UBIFS root file compression (default is zlib for 800se and 500hd to save space, and favour_lzo for the 8000 and 7020hd) and the location of your image backups - default is /media/hdd/backup and it always has to be a subdirectory of a mountpoint.

After reading the Disclaimer on Yellow you can start Conversion of an up.to-date OE 3.0 OpenPLI*.nfi Image for your box that you copied to the above backup directory.

After 5-10 minutes Jack the Ripper will have converted a new UbifsPli*.nfi for you in this directory.

If there are problems please post me the /tmp/jtr.log which is created during conversion.

The created nfi image can be then flashed in the normal ways (DreamUP, Bios WebIF or even with dFlash) to your Dreambox and you will enjoy the latest DMM drivers, kernel and a root UBIFS Filesystem in your PLi Image.

After Flashing an booting your UBIFS PLI Image your root first line of a df -h should look like this (sizes depend on the Dreambox you have):

root@dm7020hd:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
ubi0:rootfs             374.2M     43.7M    330.4M  12% /

And don't be too scared from space problems, as your images are already pretty small, but be aware that UBIFS needs about 10% more space, but even on a 500hd after conversion almost 6MB are still free.

The Plugin was tested on my 500hd, 8000 and 7020hd, but if you find bugs or have problems using it feel free to ask for help.

If you want to know what ubifs is, how it works and what it is good for on your Dreambox, please check first this article in the Dreambox blog before asking the questions answered there already:

http://www.dreambox-...-zeit-mit-ubifs

Happy Easter!

gutemine

Attached Files

Edited by gutemine, 31 March 2013 - 02:17.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #2 QUMAN

• 23 posts

Neutral

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:33

Thanks for the Easter gift.

DM7020s,DM800HD,DM500HD

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #3 Beeker

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,471 posts

+196
Excellent

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:09

Works great. Even with OpenPLi-4. Thanks.

Happy Easter

DM920, Gigablue UHD TRIO 4K and DM8000. Wavefrontier T55 13.0|19.2|23.5|28.2 + Ziggo.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #4 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:18

Why would anyone want to mix kernel binary from one image and kernel modules (usb dvb-t, wifi, iptables, ipsec, ipv6 etc) from another? This will only lead to unsupported configurations, and if there is a bug nobody could help.

Is there a feature in new DMM drivers that someone would really want to have it rignt now and not wait till these changes get imported to OpenPLI's kernel? My DM800SE works fine with current OpenPLI drivers.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #5 gjstroom

• 516 posts

+16
Neutral

Posted 31 March 2013 - 13:53

Nice boottimes on my dm800se:

65sec normal
45sec ubifs

Amiko8240, DM500HD, DM800, DM800SE, DM800SESR4, DM800SEV2, VU+ SoloSEV2, VU+ UnoSE

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #6 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 31 March 2013 - 16:55

Well, maybe this is part of the answer - ubifs is simply faster!

And if you read the bugfixing list of the drivers - why live with old drivers and old loaders and their bugs ?

And JTR is NOT mixing any drivers it uses the complete /lib/modules of the latest DMM Image - if you install there what you need it will be put fully operational into the Ubifs PLi Image. Off course it will not upgrade, but you can always repeate the procedure if a new kernel and drivers come out.

ALL the Drivers from DMM for their new OE 2.0 are experimental, so where is the point to use older ones ?

But the reason for JTR is not so much about newer drivers or kernels. For running UBIFS you simply NEED them as with the old ones UBIFS will not work (except on the 8000).

With the DMM kernel in Flash suddenly you also have working block2mtd drivers and can extract all ubifs and jffs2 images with nfidump without any problems.

PLi doesn't support any Multibooting, but with such a kernel in your PLi Image  you can now use it in Flash and Multiboot ALL other DMM OE 2.0 based images.

And finally - to find out if it runs smootly, the easiest and most efficient way is to RUN it, isn't it ?

And now everybody has the freedom to decide, and look and see him/herself...

Happy Easter!

gutemine

Edited by gutemine, 31 March 2013 - 16:59.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #7 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,123 posts

+685
Excellent

Posted 31 March 2013 - 17:20

I do not oversee what we need to patch afrond here for Dmm boxes as we also support boxes that are already ahead Dmm boxes....

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #8 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 31 March 2013 - 17:24

Yes, there is no real need, but on all these boxes you have to fiddle around with nandsim for usbifs extraction while with block2mtd this works much easier and with a smaller footprint.

And block2mtd allows booting from other devices too.

Edited by gutemine, 31 March 2013 - 17:25.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #9 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 31 March 2013 - 21:15

@gutemine: Maybe you misunderstood me, what I meant is that if you need a kernel module not preinstalled, and need to download it from the feed, it might have incompatibilities with the different kernel. I've seen examples where tun module crashes because some netfilter options was different between two different kernels. Mixing kernel with modules from other images is not good. The problem with multiboot is exactly that, mixing stuff that are not meant to be mixed. Of course 95% of the times it might work, but when it doesn't you are out of luck. Real multiboot would allow different kernel to boot for every image - like usb booting in DMM boxes, although not very practical.

I guess OpenPLI will add support for newer drivers and ubifs to DMM boxes as soon as possible.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #10 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 31 March 2013 - 22:01

In general I fully agree, BUT Erik asked my to convince PLi Team that UBIFS and the new kernel and drivers work nicely on Dreamboxes and as Forrest Gump would say: You only know what is in a chocolade box if you open it.!

Off course JTR is NOT an approach you should use under normal circumstances, to get latest drinvers and kernel and a new filesystem on top of it, but in the requested testcase JTR simply produces a working testbed where kernel and drivers and UBIFS filesystem are matching each other nicely and therefore work as they should - if then the rest of the PLi Image still runs als normal (maybe except installing/adding further drivers), then every interested user can now test it himself and in case of success confirm to the team that there is nothing to be scared of.

THEN PLi off course could decide to check in the drivers, the new kernel and UBIFS patches into their OE or even do better, and discussion would simply be over or finished to everybodies benefit.

It is just a question of skill and knowledge on how to test such new stuff - as there were multiple threads in the last days where normal users failed testing, because they simply were not aware of the driver and kernel dependency and nobody took my advice on how to properly do it, after Erik's request I simply put everything together in the JTR Plugin (actuelly it took me just a few hours to modify the existing JTR for this purpose, test it and post it).

As me and Marsu(pilami) did the original UBIFS Tests for me that was not a difficult task to open this chocolade box for you. If PLi decides that the chocolade is bitter, or you prefere the Dutch one (which is pretty good btw.) this is now your decision.

But some of the arguments I heard for waiting or against it were simply wrong, or just assumptions, therefore I took the freedom to take the look and see approach.

And yes, I would be pleased ot see these changes in PLi - the earlier, the better!

Happy Easter!

gutemine

Edited by gutemine, 31 March 2013 - 22:05.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #11 theparasol

• 4,157 posts

+198
Excellent

Posted 31 March 2013 - 22:25

I think the pli devs are doing quality time with their relatives, quite normal here in Holland.

Lets wait and see, these days there are so many image teams active and competing this would be an excellent example to show what they are actually worth ;)

@Camping: ZGemma H.2S, Technisat Multytenne 4-in-1 @Home: Edision Mini 4K, Wave Frontier T55, EMP Centauri EMP DiSEqC 8/1 switch, 4x Inverto Ultra Black single LNB

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #12 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 31 March 2013 - 23:02

Off course - enjoy the holiday season with your family!

gutemine

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #13 Anzo

• 310 posts

+5
Neutral

Posted 1 April 2013 - 11:52

Does this mean that the hbbTV option provided by OE will stay intact after conversion to OpenPli 3?

Groet, André

:blink:

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #14 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 1 April 2013 - 12:27

Read what I posted - it only implants kernel and drivers from the original OE Image into an PLi Image and switches to ubifs (the later would not be a must, but why not doing it as the latest drivers and kernel support it besides all the other bugfixes)

HBBTV and the browser are implanted into OE 2.0 enigma2 and need extra (QT) libs - all this is NOT copied, as it is ONLY for testing a PLi Image with latest drivers, kernel and UBIFS.

And if your would replace also enigma2, ... PLi would be gone.

Edited by gutemine, 1 April 2013 - 12:29.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #15 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,951 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 1 April 2013 - 16:23

On 'special request' of Erik Slagter I created a Special Edition of the Jack the Ripper Plugin.

In general I fully agree, BUT Erik asked my to convince PLi Team that UBIFS and the new kernel and drivers work nicely on Dreamboxes and as Forrest Gump would say: You only know what is in a chocolade box if you open it.!

I thought it was so obvious that I would never make such "requests", I just ignored it, BUT it appears it's not clear to everybody.

So, hereby I declare that I have NOTHING to do with any of gutemine's stuff and he knows it.

Edited by Erik Slagter, 1 April 2013 - 16:24.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #16 Happysat

• 697 posts

+43
Good

Posted 1 April 2013 - 17:28

Gutemine zum bose spiel haha, i allready wonderded why he is so supportive last days for Pli :)

Octagon SF8008 / TBS5530  DVB-S2/T2 T-85/1.50Mtr/3x90cm (53e 52e 51,5e 28e 25,9e 23e 19e 13e 9e 4e 1w 5w 14w)

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #17 Happysat

• 697 posts

+43
Good

Posted 1 April 2013 - 18:03

On special request ei the ripper V 2.0

Attached File  ei.jpg   11.55KB   47 downloads

Merry Eastern ;)

Octagon SF8008 / TBS5530  DVB-S2/T2 T-85/1.50Mtr/3x90cm (53e 52e 51,5e 28e 25,9e 23e 19e 13e 9e 4e 1w 5w 14w)

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #18 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 1 April 2013 - 18:21

Erik - I just took myself the freedom to understand this post of yours as a king of challenge:

http://openpli.org/f...ndpost&p=341637

If you don't like my type of humor I'm deeply sorry :D

But there is some truth in my answer - sometimes it is better to look and see, instead of endless discussions.

Edited by gutemine, 1 April 2013 - 18:24.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #19 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 1 April 2013 - 20:35

I think you misread that post

Yes no need to convince OpenPLi of the value of ubifs

What Erik said is there is NO NEED to convince us of the value of ubifs.

Remember we were the first imagemakers to start using ubifs for setopboxes.

Re: Jack the Ripper - PLi Special Edition for UBIFS Conversion of PLi OE 3.0 Images #20 Lost in Space

• 876 posts

+69
Good

Posted 1 April 2013 - 21:15

To be honest - I misred the post intentionally - as the converse argument, if PLi Team knows the value and doesn't apply UBIFS to the Dreamboxes when it is available and technically there is no show stopper ...  would be ... interesting.

But as we now have cleared out all these misunderstandings - and the users could look and see themselves - we can now continue to enjoy making nice things for our Receivers.

Happy Easter

gutemine

Edited by gutemine, 1 April 2013 - 21:16.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: UBIFS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users