• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #21 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 14 October 2013 - 14:02

I've been told that broadcom doesn't make "real" multi-core cpu's for STB'es. It's supposed to be somewhere between core and thread. That's why I chose the safe side and specified "threads" in stead of "cores". As we probably will never know without access to the NDA-documentation, it might be wise to merge the entries.

+1.

From a user perspective, it is irrelevant - in any case, the "threads" or "cores" just show up as separate CPUs. Even cores have to fight each other over memory access and similar things, so even true multicores aren't independent.

On the 400Mhz broadcoms, CPU-intensive calculations (like FFT transforms) would speed up by about 70% when using both cores instead of just one, so saying it is a dual-core is close enough to the truth.
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #22 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 14 October 2013 - 14:07

Changed accordingly (2x).

Edited by Erik Slagter, 14 October 2013 - 14:07.

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #23 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 16 October 2013 - 00:55

Wouldn't dual core give 4 outputs in Telnet? (And given the shenanigans re. BOGOMIPS and whatnot (Vu and ET are the 'leaders' in this, it seems), wouldn't the "lowly" and "old" 7413 actually come pretty close to the new, dual thread ones? Not that those STBs (usually) have enough memory... Maybe the new DMM v2s?)

All the other - even the newest and strongest ones - show only 2 = dual thread, not core...

(All of this is spoken by a lay person, btw... :) Just asking questions... ;) )

<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #24 guirigui

• 297 posts

Neutral

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:35

I have one question with regard to OpenPLi images/kernel version/BOX type. This point is not mentionned in the comparisons sharts.

One can observe the kernels in use for X-trend are allways very mutch in advance against VU+ one's.

Does that mean better performances???

Edited by guirigui, 17 October 2013 - 12:37.

ET6000 mounted in triple tuners with DVB-S2 Anysee E7 S2 + DVB-T Twintech UT30

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #25 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:41

Usually, a newer kernel brings better coverage of newer USB devices etc.

For performance, one needs to "optimise" a kernel, they tell us - so newer doesn't automatically mean better, apparently...

Then, there's the drivers...

Then the GUI...

Etc.

<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #26 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,075 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 28 October 2013 - 21:32

Hi,

Comparison sheet should be update because it let think that you still actively support Dreamboxes mentionned in the comparison sheet.

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #27 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,614 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 28 October 2013 - 21:45

No, it doesn't. They are all marked as "discontinued", and the footnote states we won't support the other models released by DMM.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #28 ozkaradag

• 53 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 29 October 2013 - 00:36

Thank you for comparison and specs.

Vu+ supports Audio Codec DTS-HD&DTS-HD-MA. ;)

Best regards...

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #29 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:45

No, it doesn't. They are all marked as "discontinued", and the footnote states we won't support the other models released by DMM.

I was thinking that too, but it doesn't completely cover our statement about the v1 receivers. I think the note should be expanded about that.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #30 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:58

Best regards...

Which exact receiver?

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #31 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 29 October 2013 - 13:29

The et9200 also supports DTS-HD, DTS-HD-MA and DTS-HD-HRA, if you want to add that to the comparision sheet.

But I don't know whether DTS-HD is a generic name for DTS-HD-MA and DTS-HD-HRA, or if that is a special codec.

Xtrend ET-9200, ET-8000, ET-10000, OpenPliPC on Ubuntu 12.04

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #32 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,075 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 29 October 2013 - 14:03

Hi,

The mention discontinued applys to the production of those boxes, not about Openpli.

The footnot refers to the v2 models.

If you read the whole sheet from the beginning, it states: 

In these tables below you will find all STB's currently supported by the OpenPLi team,....

Then the first STB are the DMM ones... the page needs to be reorganised and clearly mention the Openpli decision about all DMM boxes.

So Erik Slagter is right this need to be clarified in the comparison sheet.

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #33 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 29 October 2013 - 14:06

The et9200 also supports DTS-HD, DTS-HD-MA and DTS-HD-HRA, if you want to add that to the comparision sheet.

But I don't know whether DTS-HD is a generic name for DTS-HD-MA and DTS-HD-HRA, or if that is a special codec.

I think DTS-HD is specific enough for most users.

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #34 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 29 October 2013 - 17:59

Then the first STB are the DMM ones... the page needs to be reorganised and clearly mention the Openpli decision about all DMM boxes.

The dmm boxes mentioned in the wiki are supported by openpli.
We just gave the warning that future changes might break compatibility, and we will no longer spend time to work around such issues, might they occur.

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #35 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,075 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 29 October 2013 - 18:48

OK but I still think that you need to write this in the comparison sheet... so no confusion in people mind...

Personnally I don't care because I know your decision and I have no DMM STB.

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #36 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 29 October 2013 - 22:08

Hmmm, not to go OT but now that Xtrend support forum is closing - will there still be "business as usual" at ET end?!?

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #37 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,614 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 29 October 2013 - 22:16

As far as I understand (but I could be wrong) that forum had nothing to do with Xtrend (the manufacturer).

The domain is owned by one ferrari3005, registered on his (her?) own personal ISP email address. So it's a private person.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #38 ozkaradag

• 53 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 31 October 2013 - 14:36

Best regards...

Which exact receiver?

All models supports DTS-HD-MA.

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #39 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 31 October 2013 - 16:55

I've incorporated all comments above.

Re: OpenPLi supported receivers comparison #40 40H3X

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Contributor
  • 5,794 posts

+187
Excellent

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:59

As you have upgraded the Vu boxes to the bsp layer, the Linux kernel version is outdated, it should be 3.9.6. ;) That being said, I just posted this to bring it to everyones attention that there are still no entries for the SE and the Z3ro. Btw is there any format preferred when supplying any data?

Hardware: Vu+ Uno 4K SE - Vu+ Duo 4K  - Fuba 78 cm - Tripleblock LNB Quad 19.2/23.5/28.2 - DS918+
Software : OpenPLi - OSCam - Settings van Hans - Autotimer - EPGImport

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember: Upvote with the rep_up.png button for any user/post you find to be helpful, informative, or deserving of recognition!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki

Note: I do not provide support via PM !.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users