OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #21 Persian Prince

• 1,982 posts

+247
Excellent

Posted 22 October 2013 - 14:53

Maybe your comments are not showing good manners either?

But I would asume this to be OT too. At least now you don't need to ask Persia and Tunesia for help anymore on how to build an up-to-date image :)

we don't support clones but mfaraj57 and ramiMAHER are our friends and they're great (not like you)

we're not backup makers like OoZooN , Gemini or etc . we don't like making an image based on a closed binary (DMM's rubbish enigma2) and if you call it "up-to-date" image i think you need to update yourself

DreamBox STBs are not Open Source and i think we should call them Closed Source STBs so PLi is right

this is a great and good decision and i respect PLi as always because they're keeping this scene alive (not like DMM)

good luck

Open Vision sources: https://github.com/OpenVisionE2

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #22 rtzhjgg0

• 568 posts

+13
Neutral

Posted 22 October 2013 - 15:00

...need to ask Persia and Tunesia for help...

Persia and Tunesia... ?
I'm using that system on DM8000 (see my signature) :)

Selfsat H50M4
Ultimo4K /2xTwinS2, VTI, PLi, ATV...
NAS: Qnap221

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #23 athoik

• PLi® Core member
  • 8,458 posts

+327
Excellent

Posted 22 October 2013 - 16:42

So any question on the forums about DMM boxes will result to the common reply (like the one below)?

We do not support Dreamboxes. Use the forum search!

What if DMM opens again the enigma2 source code. You will support again Dreamboxes?

It's really sad that you had to take such a groundbreaking decision about DMM STB's. It's really sad.

Edited by athoik, 22 October 2013 - 16:44.

Wavefield T90: 0.8W - 1.9E - 4.8E - 13E - 16E - 19.2E - 23.5E - 26E - 33E - 39E - 42E - 45E on EMP Centauri DiseqC 16/1
Unamed: 13E Quattro - 9E Quattro on IKUSI MS-0916

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #24 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,581 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 22 October 2013 - 17:11

You have a warped sense of what is sad. DMM closing the door for us (and on you as a customer), that is sad.

Don't come here complaining, go complain in Lünen, they made it impossible for us.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #25 Jeroensky

• 2,177 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 22 October 2013 - 17:21

Here some responces at DMM forum. (for the ones who're interested)

Dreambox Dm8000 with all hardware addons donated to OpenPli. No interests anymore in policy of CanalDigitaal / M7 group and now-a-days channel encryption (like CI+ / HD+).

Good luck Enigma2 / OpenPli, it was fun with Sky Movies and so on, collected a nice collection of movies. Now back to basic boring lineair TV with KPN iTV (VDSL2 pair bonding 219 / 63 Mbps).

The VDSL pair bonding is excellent for... torrents to NAS in higher quality then HDTV (Like Dolby-TrueHD or DTS-Master-Audio soundquality ) :D

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #26 Jeroensky

• 2,177 posts

+12
Neutral

Posted 22 October 2013 - 17:27

Maybe your comments are not showing good manners either?

But I would asume this to be OT too. At least now you don't need to ask Persia and Tunesia for help anymore on how to build an up-to-date image :)

we don't support clones but mfaraj57 and ramiMAHER are our friends and they're great (not like you)

we're not backup makers like OoZooN , Gemini or etc . we don't like making an image based on a closed binary (DMM's rubbish enigma2) and if you call it "up-to-date" image i think you need to update yourself

DreamBox STBs are not Open Source and i think we should call them Closed Source STBs so PLi is right

this is a great and good decision and i respect PLi as always because they're keeping this scene alive (not like DMM)

good luck

True, i agree with that.

Dreambox Dm8000 with all hardware addons donated to OpenPli. No interests anymore in policy of CanalDigitaal / M7 group and now-a-days channel encryption (like CI+ / HD+).

Good luck Enigma2 / OpenPli, it was fun with Sky Movies and so on, collected a nice collection of movies. Now back to basic boring lineair TV with KPN iTV (VDSL2 pair bonding 219 / 63 Mbps).

The VDSL pair bonding is excellent for... torrents to NAS in higher quality then HDTV (Like Dolby-TrueHD or DTS-Master-Audio soundquality ) :D

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #27 pop_eye

• 240 posts

+9
Neutral

Posted 22 October 2013 - 17:31

It is again a sad day for true hobbiest. Same as the day DMM has decided to close their sources.

I also believe some friendships have been lost because of this - also means the future will narrow down on peoples options.

Nothing else needs to be said.

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #28 rados

• 49 posts

Neutral

Posted 22 October 2013 - 22:01

hi.

is there still update working for DM800SE?

do you guys stop all dreambox's support or just newst box?

best regards.

im sad for this cuz openpli is very good image!! thank you openpli team for this many years!!!!!!

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #29 mirakels

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 7,599 posts

+62
Good

Posted 22 October 2013 - 22:17

It seems that some peaple start to think DMM is a forbidden word now on the openpli forums. That is not the case.

We just won't spend time in fixing DMM related issues. As long as the automatic builds run fine all updates to enigma2 will be added to DMM automatically.

And DMM box owners are still free to discuss their issues amongst each other trying to find solutions/workarounds.

Maybe some group will create a  DMM-alience with openpli as base.

Yes, it is maybe sad that the openpli-team  had to make this decision, but it does not need to be as dramatic as people might think.

Geen wonder... Had slechts een dm7000, maar wel ook een rotor. eigenlijk al een tijdje ook een dm600 en dm7025. Maar nu kijkend met een et9000 en vuduo

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #30 malakudi

• 1,449 posts

+69
Good

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:30

I completely support the decision of the core team. DMM is the one that abandoned the principles of open source, so it was time to anandon DMM. They also abandoned their DM800 customers - no new drivers for them. v2 boxes are irrelevant anyway, they are just offering what competition offered years ago (PiP/larger flash/Web browser/HbbTV). Changing a flash chip and a ram chip is no new hardware from DMM.

And because I've read some rediculous comments in the dreambox forum about OpenPLi and DMM clones, someone has to inform them that clones with A8P and recently SIM 2.x can run DMM closed-source images just fine. So they don't "need" OpenPLi.

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #31 Happysat

• 697 posts

+43
Good

Posted 26 October 2013 - 14:44

someone has to inform them that clones with A8P and recently SIM 2.x can run DMM closed-source images just fine. So they don't "need" OpenPLi.

1309.gif

Hey dmm we got ya images running on clones fine ask your boss in HongKong he sent us the new sll a few days ago :)

But they always react on true facts like this:

1342.gif

Octagon SF8008 / TBS5530  DVB-S2/T2 T-85/1.50Mtr/3x90cm (53e 52e 51,5e 28e 25,9e 23e 19e 13e 9e 4e 1w 5w 14w)

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #32 zeros

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,635 posts

+61
Good

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:22

Hello

I'm a member from Estonia. Just recently I bought a 7020HD and the first Software I picked is Openpli 4. This software works fantastically!
Now, reading this statement, of course, it makes me anxious and sad. What would You need, so You would change Your decision? Every country needs its country-specific support what you are done pretty well. Is your decision final , or it can be rocked?

Z

DM920UHD DVB-S2X TRIPLE tuner + Triple M.S tuner DVB-S2X, DVB-T2/T, QboxHD, QboxHD Mini, Icecrypt T2300HD,
Qviart Lunix3 4K, Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB & 8GB

Vertex 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #33 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,581 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:33

The descision is final.

Contrary to most other images, we have our own codebase, and don't use a standard DMM image.

To keep this codebase compatible with DMM, we need access to the DMM source code, and we need the two codebases not to deviate from each other too much. In the past, with Enigma1, this worked well. We merged pieces of DMM's code, DMM cherry picked new features from us. Now that DMM decided to close the source on Enigma2, this is no longer possible, so it became more and more complex to maintain compatibility. DMM still seem to borrow new features from us (which is against the license but since their source is closed we can't prove they do), and implements these features slightly different so there is no compatibility anymore.

DMM clearly doesn't want "their" code to be used on other hardware platforms, and they don't seem to want users of DMM hardware to use other images then their own. So they closed the door.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #34 flicker

• 6 posts

Neutral

Posted 28 October 2013 - 16:08

As a openpli user that just bought a 800 v2 and 500 hd v2 I am in shock to see this but I understand the situation. Could you advise me what I can do? Are there other images that you can recommend that do support v2 boxes or should I just try to sell them and buy something else? Thanks

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #35 athoik

• PLi® Core member
  • 8,458 posts

+327
Excellent

Posted 28 October 2013 - 16:14

OE-Alliance (openatv) is you are looking for...
Wavefield T90: 0.8W - 1.9E - 4.8E - 13E - 16E - 19.2E - 23.5E - 26E - 33E - 39E - 42E - 45E on EMP Centauri DiseqC 16/1
Unamed: 13E Quattro - 9E Quattro on IKUSI MS-0916

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #36 zeros

• PLi® Contributor
  • 1,635 posts

+61
Good

Posted 28 October 2013 - 16:50

Hi WanWizard!

The decision is clear, and the reason is evident. If we can somehow influence the Dream Multimedia (I'm not sure, but I guess that it is or is not possible) then whether this is their wish?

Maybe we can change the world, worth to try. Therefore I asked whether it is the final decision. If it makes sense to negotiate, then you could try and we as users also could. I understand that you,as the authors of the Pli software, you are at the dead end. If you no longer wish to negotiate on this issue, it is quite the thing decided. And after a year or a little more, dreambox owners do not do anything with Pli software. Too bad. Whether other users have more opinions?

All the best,

Z

DM920UHD DVB-S2X TRIPLE tuner + Triple M.S tuner DVB-S2X, DVB-T2/T, QboxHD, QboxHD Mini, Icecrypt T2300HD,
Qviart Lunix3 4K, Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB & 8GB

Vertex 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #37 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,581 posts

+1,738
Excellent

Posted 28 October 2013 - 17:00

What is "final" in this world? ;)

Let's say that I think the chance that DMM will backtrack and re-open their code is very close to zero. Hypothetically, If they would, then the next question is how far their codebase has deviated from the point where they closed the door, how much effort is it to bring them back in line (close enough for merge and cherry-pick operations), and if they are willing to make changes to make that happen. My 2ct's that won't happen either.

We're not in a position to negotiate (as you could read elsewhere, there is no contact anymore), and who are we to discuss a company's business decision? I can tell you that the current DMM distributors are possible more unhappy now than the users, if anyone is in a position to discuss this with DMM, it's them, as they have a business interest they share with the manufacturer (i.e. sell as much boxes as possible).

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #38 m0rphU

• 8 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 28 October 2013 - 21:03

DMM still seem to borrow new features from us (which is against the license but since their source is closed we can't prove they do), and implements these features slightly different so there is no compatibility anymore.

Interesting thought. I tried thinking what you might be talking about, but I can't find anything where you're incompatible with DMM except AC3+. And of course DMM implemented a different flag just to annoy OpenPLi-team ;)

But I'm honestly interested what you're contribution to E2 could be, as I flashed the last PLi on E1 where it was quite ok but besides a different menu not much different from the others.
So please just tell me a few features you had before DMM had them (I guess that's more safe to say than, what DMM might have boroughed as nobody could clearly control that as you said).

DMM clearly doesn't want "their" code to be used on other hardware platforms, and they don't seem to want users of DMM hardware to use other images then their own. So they closed the door.

That indeed is obvious and was stated various times by DMM. It's sad, that E2 core is closed source therefore but if it keeps DMM alive, I'm good with it.

P.S.: Please don't blame DMM for your decision. In fact you abandoned DMM a long time ago, when you decided to support all those other imitating manufacturers who wouldn't be able to build anythin without your work.

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #39 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 28 October 2013 - 21:11

Achhhh... more tribalism, vicar??? :rolleyes: :lol: :P :D

<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

Re: OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB's #40 Ivan

• 68 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 28 October 2013 - 21:16

That indeed is obvious and was stated various times by DMM. It's sad, that E2 core is closed source therefore but if it keeps DMM alive, I'm good with it.

DMM should think about new hardware and releases to keep the company alive.

Competition is good for users but not for DMM.

I would like to see something new from DMM but there is nothing...

TechniSat Multytenne Twin: 19,2°E | 13,0°E | 23,5°E | 28,2°E -> OpenPLi4.0@vusolo2
Multifeed Offset: 19,2°E | 13,0°E | 4,8°E | 5,0°W  -> OpenPLi4.0@dm800se + OpenPLi4.0@vuzero

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users