Photo

Android based Dreambox?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 windozer

• 6 posts

Neutral

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:22

Android on the dreambox or android based STB -has- to be the way to go. It's also true that Google is working with dish network of america and also sony to make it happen. Is it possible on our current stbs?

Re: Android based Dreambox? #2 dynasticorpheus

• 61 posts

Neutral

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:14

that would be cool!
/DRK

DM800PVR - 60/6 mbps - 24/7 - Canal Digitaal NL - Seca3

Re: Android based Dreambox? #3 MiLo

• PLi® Core member
  • 14,045 posts

+298
Excellent

Posted 23 March 2010 - 13:06

What exiting new features do you expect that Android will bring to the dreambox?
Real musicians never die - they just decompose

Re: Android based Dreambox? #4 litemotiv

• 4,795 posts

+15
Neutral

Posted 23 March 2010 - 14:37

What exiting new features do you expect that Android will bring to the dreambox?

more devs...

Re: Android based Dreambox? #5 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 23 March 2010 - 18:19

neither ppc nor mipsel have java extensions, so expect things to be really slow on a dreambox.
You really need a arm with java extensions (jazelle) or a fast pc, in order to run android

Re: Android based Dreambox? #6 hemispherical1

• 1,596 posts

+49
Good

Posted 23 March 2010 - 19:36

That would seem to be unlikely as unlike the rest of the world, Dish Network does not allow 3rd party equipment to be used with their service. You HAVE to use their IRD, so I can't see them working on android for the DB...

--
hemi

It's also true that Google is working with dish network of america and also sony to make it happen.

Re: Android based Dreambox? #7 Persian Prince

• 1,982 posts

+247
Excellent

Posted 25 April 2012 - 16:03

confirmed for azbox :

http://azbox.ca/cfm/...ails.cfm?ID=644

that's a begining ;)

Open Vision sources: https://github.com/OpenVisionE2

Re: Android based Dreambox? #8 Jahu

• 42 posts

+5
Neutral

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:50

Was thinking could Enigma2 run on Raspberry Pi ? $35 with 700MHz ARM & 256MB Ram, runs Fedora, Archlinux, Debian.

Would make a nice cheap small box.

Re: Android based Dreambox? #9 Pr2

• PLi® Contributor
  • 6,075 posts

+257
Excellent

Posted 26 April 2012 - 13:24

@Jahu,

Try to run OpenpliPC on your Raspberry PI.

Pr2

NO SUPPORT by PM, it is a forum make your question public so everybody can benefit from the question/answer.
If you think that my answer helps you, you can press the up arrow in bottom right of the answer.

Wanna help with OpenPLi Translation? Please read our Wiki Information for translators

Sat: Hotbird 13.0E, Astra 19.2E, Eutelsat5A 5.0W
VU+ Solo 4K: 2*DVB-S2 + 2*DVB-C/T/T2 (used in DVB-C) & Duo 4K: 2*DVB-S2X + DVB-C (FBC)

AB-Com: PULSe 4K 1*DVB-S2X (+ DVB-C/T/T2)
Edision OS Mio 4K: 1*DVB-S2X + 1*DVB-C/T/T2

Re: Android based Dreambox? #10 sat99user

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:01

Was thinking could Enigma2 run on Raspberry Pi ? $35 with 700MHz ARM & 256MB Ram, runs Fedora, Archlinux, Debian.

What good would that do ?Replacing a good linux for a Crippled one (openpli).With openpli i Can't even mount an iso9660 data CD or ext2 partition in my DM 7000 box.And they compile every day but using old busybox 1.01 and don't give a list of what they have changed.So vor Satbox openpli is usable for everything else use a real linux!!

Re: Android based Dreambox? #11 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 11 June 2012 - 16:17

If you want to know what is changed, subscribe to the mailing lists, check the repository commit logs or follow us on twitter. Don't say we don't provide the info.

OpenPLi is primarily designed to run on a satbox, and not to run your coffee machine or your fridge. So it's quite logical some things found in "desktop" distro's are missing in OpenPLi.

A DM7000 is an antique, with the specs of a 1995 Compaq iPAC PDA, equipped with a handful of bytes of flash, so it's running an extremely stripped linux version to make it fit. What do you expect?

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: Android based Dreambox? #12 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 11 June 2012 - 16:18

On more recent stb's (with decent storage) we're using busybox 1.19.4 at the moment

Re: Android based Dreambox? #13 mirakels

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 7,599 posts

+62
Good

Posted 11 June 2012 - 17:51

What good would that do ?Replacing a good linux for a Crippled one (openpli).With openpli i Can't even mount an iso9660 data CD or ext2 partition in my DM 7000 box.And they compile every day but using old busybox 1.01 and don't give a list of what they have changed.So vor Satbox openpli is usable for everything else use a real linux!!

Actually openpli is a real Unix for that matter and android isn't. Basically Android is just a java interpreter on top of a linux kernel (the other 'unix like tools on it are basically there to setup the hardware an start java applications)...
Geen wonder... Had slechts een dm7000, maar wel ook een rotor. eigenlijk al een tijdje ook een dm600 en dm7025. Maar nu kijkend met een et9000 en vuduo

Re: Android based Dreambox? #14 sat99user

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:22

@mirakels,
I dit not mean android (i know nothing about it ) the Raspberry coms with a linux and there is a media player linux for it .
Ani i think there are comming more versions.

@WanWizard ,
Sorry i dit not know that, Where can i find the repository commit logs?

I know the DM 7000 an old box but not antique (i do not like trowing away good working hardware after only a few years).
Think the computer i am writing this post on has les power (Via Samuel2 500MHZ) and is running fine (2004 made).

On what I expect from ANY linux a minimal compatibility with the standard (at least mounting enything native to linux )
With the ability of multi booting and a hard disk or flash the linux can grow!
So no need to keep using extremly stripped linux.

And i read that the modern pli for enigma2 can't even play H264/xvid/divx properly on its own without pc correct me if i'm wrong zo as media player unusable.

Re: Android based Dreambox? #15 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:58

Our repositories are hosted here: http://sourceforge.n...openpli/develop
You can find "supported" third party stuff here: https://github.com/OpenPLi
You can subscribe to the mailing lists here: http://sourceforge.n...group_id=267704
This is our twitter feed: http://twitter.com/Openpli

We've been making images for the DM7000 since it was released (2004?) and before that for the DM5600, and it has always been a struggle to get and keep a working box within the limits of the 8MB flash. The only solution was to strip everything that could be stripped without impact of the box' usability (as an STB platform). You can forget doing anything decent with a DM7000.

With regards to H264/xvid/divx: this has nothing to do with the software. The CPU's are WAY to weak to decode in software, so the box can play it if the hardware supports it, AND if the manufacturer has bought the licenses needed to enable the feature in their drivers. If the drivers don't do it, our image doesn't do it. Please direct your complaints to the manufacturer.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: Android based Dreambox? #16 Meega

• 3,000 posts

+51
Good

Posted 12 June 2012 - 14:41

And i read that the modern pli for enigma2 can't even play H264/xvid/divx properly on its own without pc correct me if i'm wrong zo as media player unusable.

Enigma2 on my dm8000 does play it all very well.

ET10000+ Openpli 6.1,1m schotel 4x duo-lnb op vaste opstelling.

Momolights teensy 2.0 met 50 leds op een string ,150 channels
DM8000 Openpli 6.1 Release

Re: Android based Dreambox? #17 sat99user

• 11 posts

Neutral

Posted 12 June 2012 - 17:28

@ Meega, than i read wrong or not all boxes are doing so well.

@Wan Wizard
Thanks.

Why keep stripping everything out to put in 8MB internal flash while we can use internal CF or Harddisk or external usb stick?

I have now about 6 images on my CF card and see not mutch difference.
Why using openpli?

My posts are not ment to be complains , i only am a bit disapointed (the dreambox used to be the best box those days, now I am happy i dit not buy).

For now i wil use the DM 7000 for sat viewing only and the dvd players needs to be around for more years multimedia.

Re: Android based Dreambox? #18 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,625 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 12 June 2012 - 17:54

Bottom line: it's an STB.

It's build for people that want to watch TV, and don't know (we're talking 2004) what a USB stick is. People like your and my parents. Not for a handful of geeks who want to use it to make coffee, simply because it runs Linux. Besides that, there hasn't been any development on the 7000 image for the last few years, it's an end-of-life box.

Want a full distro, get full spec hardware.

Re: Android based Dreambox? #19 golfdiesel

• 448 posts

+10
Neutral

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:53

My posts are not ment to be complains , i only am a bit disapointed (the dreambox used to be the best box those days, now I am happy i dit not buy).

For now i wil use the DM 7000 for sat viewing only and the dvd players needs to be around for more years multimedia.

How can you be disappointed with the fact that an antique STB (antique in computer terms) can't do the same things as a modern STB.
It's the same with cars, or do you expect that Ford will bring out updated parts for the model T?

Re: Android based Dreambox? #20 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:15

Here is a company that always did well, since I can remember - against the ban on taking photos, I managed... :D somehow... :P

But no Sat TV boxes yet - this is cable/terrestrial/IP TV so far... But looking promising... (photos I took yesterday at Anga) ;)

Attached Files

<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users