• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #41 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 24 September 2010 - 19:02

If space in cramfs was really as tight as you think it is, then PLi would never have tried to hide their boot logo (/cramfs/root/platform/kernel/bild - 58kb) in there, would they, LOL!

I was referring to the maxvar image. If you compare kernelconfigs, you'll find we've disabled a lot of stuff, just to gain a few extra eraseblocks, in order to be able to shift the partition layout enough to make the maxvar effort worth while.

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #42 PaphosAL

• 251 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 24 September 2010 - 19:39

If space in cramfs was really as tight as you think it is, then PLi would never have tried to hide their boot logo (/cramfs/root/platform/kernel/bild - 58kb) in there, would they, LOL!

I was referring to the maxvar image. If you compare kernelconfigs, you'll find we've disabled a lot of stuff, just to gain a few extra eraseblocks, in order to be able to shift the partition layout enough to make the maxvar effort worth while.

Yes, I see where you are coming from Pieter, with the extra 128kb won from cramfs that can then be remapped to the var partition. The same thing is being done in tuxbox dm500 builds.

All I am saying is that PLI have the luxury of enough space in cramfs to also include their bootlogo in there- in the Maxvar image. And that tun support in the OS happily fits alongside it, it being only 9kb gross, and probably 3kb squashed.

Thanks again for giving it a try- I'm sure a lot of people will be delighted with this step...

Cheers- AL Posted Image

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #43 hus52

• 21 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 September 2010 - 19:41

PaphosAL now over to you to release the openvpn install package & guide :)

told u we'd get there /images/smiley/grin.gif

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #44 Boz

• 3 posts

Neutral

Posted 24 September 2010 - 21:35

PaphosAL now over to you to release the openvpn install package & guide :)

told u we'd get there /images/smiley/grin.gif

AL is a busy guy, he should be finishing other work first....!

Posted Image

SS

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #45 hemertje

• Forum Moderator
    PLi® Core member
  • 33,472 posts

+118
Excellent

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:33

can someone check if it is working as aspected!

thx....

on the Glassfibre 1GB DVB-C...

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #46 hus52

• 21 posts

Neutral

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:06

ticket says rev 151:
http://openpli.pli-i....org/ticket/187

but nightly build only 152 avail?

anyway ive flashed 152 and going to see how i get on

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #47 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,676 posts

+1,740
Excellent

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:57

rev151 probably didn't build automatically. These things happen...

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #48 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:45

the builds are not triggered by commits, they run at a fixed time ;)

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #49 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,676 posts

+1,740
Excellent

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:00

Ah, ok multiple commits on one day. Missed that... I'm not used to that happening for E1 anymore... ;)

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #50 PaphosAL

• 251 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 25 September 2010 - 13:07

Ah, ok multiple commits on one day. Missed that... I'm not used to that happening for E1 anymore... ;)

Don't worry, WanWizard- we have plenty of new tricks for E1 simmering away on the back burner...

Anyway- here's the OpenVPN tarball, which I've done my best to idiot-proof, in terms of everything being in the correct folders, with chmod attributes set correctly, and even the necessary lib symlinks being included.

If untarred from the /tmp folder, then everything should be installed into the /var partition. Ensure you have plenty of room there, first- by removing any games and plugins etc you don't really need. I estimate this package will use around 600kb...

Experts who know how to extract and edit the squashfs root can manually install the relevant stuff into /bin and /lib in there. But you'll need to edit the daemon path in openvpn_script.sh accordingly. To make enough space there, blitz the Web I/F by deleting these two folders:

/share/tuxbox/enigma/htdocs
/share/tuxbox/enigma/templates

Just make sure that your edited squashfs root compile is NOT LARGER than 4,194,304 bytes allowed by PLi Maxvar, please!

There is no point in trying this until it's confirmed that /dev/net/tun (0 bytes) is appearing in the OpenPLi maxvar nightly build.

Cheers- AL Posted Image

Attached Files

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #51 hus52

• 21 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:06

ok im a completely clueless when it comes to linux

im tryin to install via OSD and manual install, ive put the above file in /tmp but manual install doesnt want to find it because its not gz? do i have to run the tarball/install via telnet or something?

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #52 Boz

• 3 posts

Neutral

Posted 26 September 2010 - 19:38

im tryin to install via OSD and manual install, ive put the above file in /tmp but manual install doesnt want to find it because its not gz? do i have to run the tarball/install via telnet or something?

You are going about it the wrong way, maybe best to see if AL will patch an image for you. It isn't as simple as an addon!

SS

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #53 dAF2000

• PLi® Ex-Leden
  • 14,151 posts

+52
Good

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:13

There is no point in trying this until it's confirmed that /dev/net/tun (0 bytes) is appearing in the OpenPLi maxvar nightly build.

Cheers- AL Posted Image

If somebody can confirm this, we have the first step to OpenVPN.
Many answers to your question can be found in our wiki: http://openpli.org/wiki

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #54 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:51

Cheers- AL Posted Image

I didn't modify the maxvar kernelconfig yet, just the normal image.
(and no, I do not think its worth removing the bootlogo from the image, just to get tun support in the maxvar image, so somebody needs to make a test build and confirm it fits)

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #55 PaphosAL

• 251 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:30

Cheers- AL Posted Image

I didn't modify the maxvar kernelconfig yet, just the normal image.
(and no, I do not think its worth removing the bootlogo from the image, just to get tun support in the maxvar image, so somebody needs to make a test build and confirm it fits)

Satsearching did a maxvar build with tun support in kernel (and the bootlogo in there) and yes, it fits nicely, Pieter.

I didn't suggest removing the pretty boot logo from the image. But you might want to think about relocating it from the kernel to somewhere like /bin or /sbin in squashfs?

It's unlikely that the standard image would have enough space in /var to hold the OpenVPN package, plus a cam.

Cheers- AL Posted Image

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #56 PaphosAL

• 251 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:26

Oh dear... I don't mean to be unkind, but if you're clueless on linux, playing with OpenVPN wasn't maybe the best hobby for you to choose, LOL!

Here is the tarball in tar.gz format for you. If it still won't install via the user menu, let me know, and I'll give you the simple step by step destructions for doing it via telnet.

Cheers- AL Posted Image

Attached Files

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #57 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,297 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:26

But why not using the normal (not maxvar) image and put the rest on a "cheap" USB stick?

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #58 PaphosAL

• 251 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:28

But why not using the normal (not maxvar) image and put the rest on a "cheap" USB stick?

I've just examined all six sides of my little DM500S, but I'm buggered if I can find a USB port anywhere...

AL Posted Image

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #59 hus52

• 21 posts

Neutral

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:36

thanks AL! from what i gather i shud b waiting until tun support is implemented in the OpenPLi MAXVAR image before trying openvpn if i also plan to run a cam due to /var space?

i found an old dd-wrt router so im going to stick that inbetween dm500 and modem for the time being for openvpn until openvpn on dm500 is tested properly

Re: DM500 - OpenVPN #60 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 28 September 2010 - 16:31

Satsearching did a maxvar build with tun support in kernel (and the bootlogo in there) and yes, it fits nicely, Pieter.

ok, I've added it

I didn't suggest removing the pretty boot logo from the image. But you might want to think about relocating it from the kernel to somewhere like /bin or /sbin in squashfs?

I assume (dont have a cdk box, never had one) that the reason why the bootlogo is in the kernel partition, must be that the bootloader has cramfs support, but no squashfs support.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DM500

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users