Reboot after opkg upgrade needed?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nemdani

• 66 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 20 February 2012 - 22:13

I have a cron job for opkg update && opkg upgrade. Afterwards i just sent the box to deep-standby.
Is that enough for major updates within the 2.1 line like kernel updates to take effect or do i need a real reboot of the box?

P.S. What's the best time slot for that cron job to run? Nightly builds are done around 1:00 GMT, but when are the updates usually pushed in the feed?
ET6x00

Re: Reboot after opkg upgrade needed? #2 pieterg

• PLi® Core member
  • 32,766 posts

+245
Excellent

Posted 20 February 2012 - 22:22

deep-standby is the same as shutdown (a.k.a a real reboot when you switch the box back on).
Builds run at 1:00-3:00 CET

Re: Reboot after opkg upgrade needed? #3 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 21 February 2012 - 14:18

The best procedure is
- stop enigma (init 4)
- upgrade
- restart box

The second best procedure (almost always sufficient) is
- stop enigma (init 4)
- upgrade
- start enigma (init 3)

* Wavefrontier T90 with 28E/23E/19E/13E via SCR switches 2 x 2 x 6 user bands
I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Reboot after opkg upgrade needed? #4 greatred

• 268 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 21 February 2012 - 14:40

Erik, could you please explain what is the unattended-upgrade option responsible for when starting the process under Software Management?
Is it the same like init4-upgrade-reboot ?

Re: Reboot after opkg upgrade needed? #5 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 21 February 2012 - 15:08

I really don't know, I never do it that way. But the other members surely can explain.

I don't read PM -> if you have something to ask or to report, do it in the forum so others can benefit. I don't take freelance jobs.
Ik lees geen PM -> als je iets te vragen of te melden hebt, doe het op het forum, zodat anderen er ook wat aan hebben.

Re: Reboot after opkg upgrade needed? #6 metoo

• 1,573 posts

+33
Good

Posted 21 February 2012 - 16:45

Erik, could you please explain what is the unattended-upgrade option responsible for when starting the process under Software Management?
Is it the same like init4-upgrade-reboot ?

yes it is

ET10000 C C C C/T  2TB HDD ET7000 + ET6000 dvb-S  OpenPli Triax 88 multifeed quad LNBs VU Uno4K SE C+2TB HDD Mutant HD60

Re: Reboot after opkg upgrade needed? #7 nemdani

• 66 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 24 February 2012 - 14:39

The best procedure is
- stop enigma (init 4)
- upgrade
- restart box

The second best procedure (almost always sufficient) is
- stop enigma (init 4)
- upgrade
- start enigma (init 3)

When is the second procedure not sufficient? Can i say that the second procedure just works if all affected packages are named enigma2* ?

What exactly happens when you do an upgrade and enigma2 is still running?
Can't just stop enigma2 blindly as the STB could be currently in use. If i want to check for that i need the python interface of enigma2 which means no easy shell scripts but writing a full enigma2 plugin, which in return means i can't easily control it from the shell.
Or is there already an auto-updater plugin?

Edited by nemdani, 24 February 2012 - 14:41.

ET6x00

Re: Reboot after opkg upgrade needed? #8 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 24 February 2012 - 16:46

What happens if you upgrade while enigma is running, is that any updates to plugins and libraries won't be seen. That is not even that serious, the problem is that you end up with two versions in memory, which will take RAM memory. This common for any unix/linux environment. Windows would not even let you do it.

Upgrading while enigma has been stopped is usually sufficient for this.

If any changes are made to the boot procedure or to the kernel itself, you need to reboot to make these effective.

Re: Reboot after opkg upgrade needed? #9 nemdani

• 66 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 24 February 2012 - 19:13

What happens if you upgrade while enigma is running, is that any updates to plugins and libraries won't be seen. That is not even that serious, the problem is that you end up with two versions in memory, which will take RAM memory. This common for any unix/linux environment. Windows would not even let you do it.

So the only serious problem here is that you could ran out of RAM, which would crash the STB? Or will there be conflict between config files as those are written to flash when going in deep standby (?) and overriding the updated configs?

After a restart the upgrade still gets fully applied?

P.S: Windows Server 2003 SP1 introduced hot patches to Windows. See: http://technet.micro...v=ws.10%29.aspx
ET6x00

Re: Reboot after opkg upgrade needed? #10 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 24 February 2012 - 19:56

Deep standby equals power off, so if you put the box in deep standby regularly, you won't run out of memory.

Edited by Erik Slagter, 24 February 2012 - 19:57.

Re: Reboot after opkg upgrade needed? #11 nemdani

• 66 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 24 February 2012 - 21:31

Yes, but what i meant:
enigma2 running (occupying a lot of memory, especially during playback) and upgrade starts but there isn't enough memory for that -> crash.
Not even sure if greenscreen can catch that crash.

Edited by nemdani, 24 February 2012 - 21:35.

ET6x00

Re: Reboot after opkg upgrade needed? #12 Erik Slagter

• PLi® Core member
  • 46,960 posts

+541
Excellent

Posted 24 February 2012 - 21:40

Depends on what box and what you're running. I wouldn't recommend it anyway. Some report to never restart enigma during upgrade, but I wouldn't risk it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users