usb tuner

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 junad

• 269 posts

Neutral

Posted 1 April 2012 - 16:36

Hi
Is it possible to install usb tuner on my DM500 HD?
note: I have two usb port

Re: usb tuner #2 spock

• 214 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 1 April 2012 - 19:44

if you've done the usb mod there is no problem.. i'm using dvb-t tuner and usb wifi on my dm500hd without issues. just make sure the device you get are compatible.

Re: usb tuner #3 junad

• 269 posts

Neutral

Posted 1 April 2012 - 21:36

if you've done the usb mod there is no problem
I've used this method
Posted Image

.. i'm using dvb-t tuner and usb wifi on my dm500hd without issues. just make sure the device you get are compatible.

how can I be sure of the device?

Another question please
Are you using usb hub with power supply? because I do not use it and if it's ok without it?

Edited by junad, 1 April 2012 - 21:39.

Re: usb tuner #4 spock

• 214 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 2 April 2012 - 00:09

I mean get a usbtuner that is supported by openpli image.

It looks like your usbmod needs a powered hub with over-current protection, or it might fry the board.

Myself I use one of of these for usb mod, so no external devices needed: http://www.chargecon.../store/dm500usb

Edited by spock, 2 April 2012 - 00:10.

Re: usb tuner #5 junad

• 269 posts

Neutral

Posted 2 April 2012 - 09:47

I mean get a usbtuner that is supported by openpli image.

It looks like your usbmod needs a powered hub with over-current protection, or it might fry the board.

Myself I use one of of these for usb mod, so no external devices needed: http://www.chargecon.../store/dm500usb

Well It is strange
because I just remove R1011 0 ohm resistor like below picture and I Don't Use usb hub and without usb board like you do and after more than a year of use nothing fry for moment

Posted Image

Re: usb tuner #6 junad

• 269 posts

Neutral

Posted 2 April 2012 - 13:17

What is the model of dvb-t tuner you have? and how can I get it?

Re: usb tuner #7 spock

• 214 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 3 April 2012 - 08:13

I have a "Technisat Airstar Telestick 2", it works, but it's not so good with low/bad signals and it doesn't show SNR information. So I wouldn't recommend it. I'd suggest to search the forum for better supported tuners..

About the usb mod the problem is if you put a device that doesn't limit it's current and instead expects the host to do it. Since the "standard" usb mod cannot limit the current, it would fry the board in that scenario. That's why a powered hub with over current protection is recommended. Or an internal over current protection like I put. Both works fine.

Re: usb tuner #8 spock

• 214 posts

+1
Neutral

Posted 3 April 2012 - 08:49

I found this page: http://linuxtv.org/w...B-T_USB_Devices

As far as I know openpli will support anything that the linux kernel has support for, so that list should be accurate. No guarantees though. :)

Re: usb tuner #9 junad

• 269 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 April 2012 - 14:16

Thanks for your advice

Re: usb tuner #10 Gennar1

• 296 posts

+31
Good

Posted 3 April 2012 - 14:33

As far as I know openpli will support anything that the linux kernel has support for, so that list should be accurate. No guarantees though. :)

That's true for boxes with up-to-date kernels (ET and, with some limitation, VU+). Dreamboxes are still using the ancient 2.6.18 kernel, and nobody is porting new drivers to the old kernel, so in this case there is no support for new devices.

Re: usb tuner #11 junad

• 269 posts

Neutral

Posted 3 April 2012 - 16:38

That's true for boxes with up-to-date kernels (ET and, with some limitation, VU+). Dreamboxes are still using the ancient 2.6.18 kernel, and nobody is porting new drivers to the old kernel, so in this case there is no support for new devices.

What you suggest in my case :(

Edited by junad, 3 April 2012 - 16:39.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users