• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 robertut

• 347 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 12 February 2014 - 22:20

Hello there,

I'm the Hungarian translator of OpenPLi. The default skin coming with OpenPLi images has a couple of issues related to displaying Hungarian strings. In many places there's not enough space to fit the Hungarian text, because translation is longer.

Here are a couple examples. These are not the only ones, there are several like this.

Attached File  skin_rotor_icon_problem.png   14.92KB   127 downloads

Here you see that the text "From:" in Hungarian, displayed as "Innen:" doesn't fit in the field. A suggestion maybe, have the text fields right-justified, and make the twice larger. This would keep aestethics too.

Attached File  skin_fancontrol_problem.png   24.21KB   145 downloads

Here you see that the Hungarian word for "Fan" is "Ventilátor". Abbreviation was needed to fit, and it looks dull.

Is it possible to fix such issues?

The latest Hungarian .mo and .po can be downloaded from here.

Re: PLI default Skin language problems #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,669 posts

+1,740
Excellent

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:39

I wonder how it is translated to Dutch, since they also use the word "Ventilator".

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: PLI default Skin language problems #3 robertut

• 347 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:56

I also found that the "Reception Settings" page doesn't show the setting descriptions for any of the settings, although they are present in the language file. I tried both English and Hungarian and they don't appear on the screen at all. For the setting highlighted below the explanation is very interesting and also important, and it is present in the language file. It's not the only one, all of them are affected!

Attached File  skin_text_missing.png   295.53KB   53 downloads

Edited by robertut, 13 February 2014 - 10:56.

Re: PLI default Skin language problems #4 robertut

• 347 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:04

I wonder how it is translated to Dutch, since they also use the word "Ventilator".

I just checked. The strings related to fan settings in Dutch language file seem to be tranlated by some google-stuff, as they are inconsistent (one field says 'voltage', the other says 'spanning'). One field is untranslated, the longest one just fits in (Hungarian is longer than that), and they abbreviated also in the values table :D

Edited by robertut, 13 February 2014 - 11:04.

Re: PLI default Skin language problems #5 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,669 posts

+1,740
Excellent

Posted 13 February 2014 - 18:48

Hmm... someone needs to kick the dutch translator then... ;)

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: PLI default Skin language problems #6 robertut

• 347 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:58

Here's another language-doesn't fit problem. The text in the red area should be "Pluginek eltávolítása".

Attached File  skin_pluginslist_problem.png   187.35KB   54 downloads

I have tested some other skins, and there are many cases where strings fit. Pli's default skin doesn't fit.

Re: PLI default Skin language problems #7 ims

• PLi® Core member
  • 13,625 posts

+212
Excellent

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:39

You must not translate exactly... F.eg: you are in Plugins - why on buttons you want write about "plugin" again ?

in this case there is: button, 14px space, label 220px, 15px space, Button ... there is not space for enlarge...

Kdo nic nedělá, nic nezkazí!

Re: PLI default Skin language problems #8 robertut

• 347 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:25

Other skins allow that. Plus, if you'd speak Hungarian, you'd understand why this is needed. A simple word just in that context doesn't mean quite that, plus, it looks very stupid. In Hungarian context - I have to emphasize. It's also gramatically incorrect.

I think if you'd remove the 15 px space, and have the labels bigger by 15px would solve that. Space between the buttons would be anyways thanks to the shorter words in many languages. But it's still better to have the text displayed entirely rather than chopping doen entire words. Or maybe take the font size lower on these buttons.

As I said it's not only this case. Most windows are affected. This was just an example.

Re: PLI default Skin language problems #9 littlesat

• PLi® Core member
  • 56,288 posts

+691
Excellent

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:43

Other skins could have more space there... e.g. when they do not have a PIG....

I'm 99.99% sure when you use a SD skin it will also not fit... so I would recommend to be creative...

WaveFrontier 28.2E | 23.5E | 19.2E | 16E | 13E | 10/9E | 7E | 5E | 1W | 4/5W | 15W

Re: PLI default Skin language problems #10 robertut

• 347 posts

+2
Neutral

Posted 15 February 2014 - 14:08

I already tried to be creative in many places, believe me. Hungarian language and correct gramathics impose these rules, it's not my fault.

There's another thing to keep in mind: many strings are re-used in the skin on different places. So even if you try to be creative on one side to try to fit in one window's label, you'll notice that it looks and reads very stupid elsewhere, where otherwise the entire string fits well.

I don't really understand how an SD skin comes in picture here. There's one default skin which is HD, and these minor glitches could really be fixed. I also like Glass-HD skin, which is 100% compatible with OpenPLi - all the examples I posted above are not present there. It's made by a slovakian guy as far as I remember, and seems he knows that Slovakian language also uses long strings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users