CrossEPG 0.8

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 stiaga

• 9 posts

Neutral

Posted 23 April 2014 - 13:50

Dear all,

I see that other images have this plugin updated to version 0.8 and integrated directly in the image itself; so there isn't any ipkg available.

Why this plugin isn't updated in OpenPLI??

Thanks in advance.

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #2 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,619 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 23 April 2014 - 21:00

Source? Maintained by whom?

We use the CrossEPG source from the E2OpenPlugins repository, which is included in the build process and therefore always up to date. So if there is a different newer version, did someone fork it?

Why would it have to be integrated in the image? We don't see the point of it, for most people it doesn't add anything. If it adds something for you, you can install it.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Many answers to your question can be found in our new and improved wiki.

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #3 Robinson

• 2,616 posts

+30
Good

Posted 23 April 2014 - 21:52

Why this plugin isn't updated in OpenPLI??

I think most OpenPLi users use XMLTV Import plugin instead of CrossEPG.

ET9000, OpenPLi 4.0, 13E, 19E

HD51, OpenPLi 6.2, 75E - 30W

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #4 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 24 April 2014 - 00:04

Indeed - but CrossEPG can be improved...

By the same token, XMLTV Import can become obsolete... as it isn't as comprehensive as Cross EPG - if only CrossEPG wouldn't be as buggy as it hitherto was...

<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #5 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:34

The huge advantage of Cross is that is reads Open-TV data from the transponder (for Sky UK & IT). Sky always takes care to update this EPG data the very minute a change takes place, and data is very comprehensive. For that reason most UK & IT people do use Cross.
There is a lot of development taking place @https://github.com/o...plugin-CrossEPG by the original author of Cross.

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #6 Robinson

• 2,616 posts

+30
Good

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:25

Yes, that is undoubtedly an advantage of CrossEPG.

Actually, OpenPLi includes some special EPG such as Viasat or MHW, right?

I guess it is not easy to incorporate Open-TV into OpenPLi and there are no volunteers who can do that?

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #7 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:39

IMHO that would be the ultimate solution.
I know this has been requested before, and PLi responded that they first wanted to rewrite the way of EPG (data) handling (as it is now one big pile of data). Although far from being a coder myself, I don't see why those two enhancements would interfere.

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #8 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,619 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:42

No volunteers up till now, the code has been in the open for a while. And yes, the EPG reader code in Enigma is a pile of pasta an Italian mama would be proud of. ;)

It's of limited use however, BSkyB has switched from OpenTV to a new platform (was announced last year), so it's going to be phased out together with the old skyboxes...

BSkyB is my primary source of TV for many years now, and until now I've never had any problem with Rytec's import, other than the ocassional missing channel.

Currently in use: VU+ Duo 4K (2xFBC S2), VU+ Solo 4K (1xFBC S2), uClan Usytm 4K Pro (S2+T2), Octagon SF8008 (S2+T2), Zgemma H9.2H (S2+T2)

Due to my bad health, I will not be very active at times and may be slow to respond. I will not read the forum or PM on a regular basis.

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #9 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:48

It's of limited use however, BSkyB has switched from OpenTV to a new platform (was announced last year), so it's going to be phased out together with the old skyboxes...

Do you have a link?

BSkyB is my primary source of TV for many years now, and until now I've never had any problem with Rytec's import, other than the ocassional missing channel.

Apart from being updated only once a day, RYTEC also misses some additional descriptions. As a result of that AutoTimer will either not find all new episodes or make multiple recordings of the same episode (depending on the AT settings). Those are the reasons UK & IT users use Cross and not RYTEC.

Edited by SatKiekerd, 24 April 2014 - 07:48.

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #10 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,619 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:59

Do you have a link?

Don't have a link available.

It had to do with the fact that OpenTV is now owned by Nagra, NDS'ses largest competitor, and NDS is owned by Cisco, who has it's own platform since the aquisition of Scientific Atlanta. It was the reason behind the free swap of old Thompson boxes last year, they were not capable of running the new middleware.

Apart from being updated only once a day, RYTEC also misses some additional descriptions. As a result of that AutoTimer will either not find all new episodes or make multiple recordings of the same episode (depending on the AT settings). Those are the reasons UK & IT users use Cross and not RYTEC.

I can only give my personal experience...

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #11 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:01

I know quite a lot of people who never got any free replacement box. Instead they could buy a new one, if they wanted to. The only purpose for Sky seemed to be a box-card pairing, that only those new boxes allow.

So I can't imagine any new EPG-system to be not compatible with 'old' boxes. In other words: I think the Open-TV will be transmitted for years.

BTW: I did an extensive search on Google, and I asked UK-friends, but no info on any new platform for Sky turned up.

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #12 WanWizard

• PLi® Core member
  • 68,619 posts

+1,739
Excellent

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:06

Sky has always used box-card pairing, there is no need to hand out new boxes for that.  And as far as I know, everyone with a first series Sky+ HD box made by Thompson got a free replacement, but it was a limited time offer. All other boxes (like the pre-Sky+ ones, the non-HD ones, etc) were never in scope of the swap operation.

There were a lot of rumours on the internet at the time of the swap that Sky would activate anti-share measures on the card, and the old boxes couldn't support the software update needed for that, but now a year later nothing has changed. From what I hear internally Cisco is that the older hardware wasn't capable of running the new middleware, which is why all hardware still under support by Sky was replaced for free.

Sky can swap the firmware on the box OTA, so if they first make sure every box in the field has the capability to support the new firmware, a swap can be relatively painless, no more than a few months overlap needed, tops.

Contrary to OpenPLi, they use a push system, as soon as you switch the box on it will search for the update transponder, and it will update the box.

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #13 Rob van der Does

• 7,766 posts

+184
Excellent

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:16

I can assure you that those measures have been implemented: any card having had an update in a new skybox can't be used in a softcam any more (at least not for HD channels).
Only people still having an old Thompson box are lucky, as the firmware isn't capable of implying those limitations (and one needs a Skybox to get a new card activated).

But all this is slightly off-topic.....

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #14 Robinson

• 2,616 posts

+30
Good

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:43

Rytec EPG is great in case of Sky UK but I'm not sure if Italian websites are as much reliable for Sky IT as the British ones for Sky UK.

Anyway, Open-TV would be better for last-minute schedule changes, especially for sports channels.

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #15 stiaga

• 9 posts

Neutral

Posted 27 April 2014 - 22:12

I have compiled the 0.8.1 from sources for my DM500HD.

The installation of the new IPKG was OK but when I open the Plugin window E2 tells me that the plugin CrossEPG was disabled because 'no module named boxbranding'.

Do you know how to prevent that?

Regards.

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #16 betacentauri

• PLi® Core member
  • 7,185 posts

+323
Excellent

Posted 27 April 2014 - 22:36

Then it's a version for an OE-Alliance image. It won't work without modifications on an OpenPli image.
Xtrend ET-9200, ET-8000, ET-10000, OpenPliPC on Ubuntu 12.04

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #17 stiaga

• 9 posts

Neutral

Posted 28 April 2014 - 00:02

Yes I took it in oe-alliance website.... Do you know how I have to do?? Is there a kind of guide??

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #18 spectrum#

• 1 posts

Neutral

Posted 2 May 2014 - 22:47

I built this plugin for the amiko alien 2 and had the same problem. To overcome it, I created boxbranding.py in the plugin folder with the following contents:

def getImageDistro():
    "sh4"

The new CrossEPG looks for specific images/boxes (OpenVIX + another that I forget), so you can leave "sh4", or change it to whatever you want.

I'm not a programmer, so don't know if this is the best way to do this, but it seemed to work.

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #19 tension

• 117 posts

+4
Neutral

Posted 20 May 2014 - 20:15

Gave it a try.... it seems to work!?

Libcurl dep is required, so install it before.

I put it here if someone wants it.

Attached Files

Re: CrossEPG 0.8 #20 gorski

• 1,699 posts

+46
Good

Posted 25 May 2014 - 22:25

Weeeeeeellllll????

Any reports on "many of those CrossEPG terrible bugs" in this version, guys...???

<span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'>Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance..." I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784)</span><br /> <br /><span style='font-family: comic sans ms,cursive'><a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://eserver.org/p...lightenment.txt'>http://eserver.org/p...ent.txt</a>'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a>'>http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/kant.html</a></a> - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...</span>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users